Sitting in your desk all day is bad for your health, it increases the likelihood of gaining weight, heart disease and other illnesses. Here are some quick tips from the pros at Aurora Sports Medicine Professionals to help keep you healthy and comfortable while at work.
1) Try to visit your clients, suppliers and colleagues in person when you can. Avoid sitting at your desk all day by walking to visit a colleague instead of email them. Organize your lunch meetings with clients so you can walk to the venue.
2) Every time you need to put a file away, grab one out of the filing cabinet, or simply need to organize your office; get out of your chair and walk around instead of rolling over. The motion of getting in and out of your chair as well as walking will increase your mobility through-out the day and when you get home!
3) Don’t ignore soreness and pain at work. Maybe you need to raise or lower your chair, or get a new chair! Visiting your local physiotherapist can assist you with locating the source of the problem and explain how to fix it.
4) Stretch! Stretch! Stretch! Don't need to leave your office all day? No problem, stretching once or twice a day while in your chair helps to loosen your muscles. Taking a small break from typing will also give your fingers a much needed rest!
5) Treat your body to a well-deserved massage. Getting a massage from a registered massage therapist (RMT) will help your body feel relaxed and rejuvenated, making your work week something to enjoy.